Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"Pro-Ana"

PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NOTHING "PRO-ANA" ON THIS SITE. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR PRO-ANA STUFF, HIT THE "BACK" BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER AND GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

IF YOU ARE A "PRO-ANA," GO READ THIS STORY: Ballerina's Story. There's nothing glamorous about this. This isn't about being "strong." If you were actually strong, you wouldn't have an ED.

----------------------------------

I realize that I'm pretty harsh on the idea of pro-ana, so I'd like to elaborate a little on what I hate and what I tolerate. I understand when someone has an EXISTING eating disorder and is not ready to give it up. I understand what it's like to need it, and I understand that there are parts of an ED that aren't so bad. I also know what it feels like to be "proud" of myself, and to feel better than other people.

What I can't tolerate is people (almost always girls or young women) who do NOT have an existing eating disorder, but wish to "catch" one. You can't catch bipolar disorder. You can't catch attention deficit disorder. You can't catch an ED! This is not something you can be taught to do. There is no glory here.

If you accept that, and you still don't give it up, then I understand. I'm there too.

----------------------------------

Ok. Having said all of that, if you're scratching your head, asking, "What's pro-ana?" then keep reading.

Pro-ana is this bizarre, mostly internet-based movement where young women (mostly) glorify anorexia as a lifestyle.

LOL.

Ok, now that's out of my system, I have a few things to say. First, the concept of pro-ana is beyond retarded. Let's see... pro-alcoholism? Pro-schizophrenia? Pro-depression? Pro-OCD? How can one be in favor of a mental illness as a lifestyle?

Second, in my experience, the young women who are "into pro-ana" fall into two categories. 1) There are, unfortunately, a lot of very young, impressionable girls out there who hear about pro-ana somewhere and try it on as an identity. For example, when I was about 14 or 15 I was really into Wicca as a philosophy. I identified myself as a Wiccan. I grew out of it, and after a few months, these girls will lose interest and move on.

2) Other girls and women who think pro-ana is some sort of diet. In general, these ladies are not even REMOTELY near an anorexic BMI. (That's not to say that you need to be at a certain weight to have a "real" ED--in fact, the contrary is true.) Furthermore, they think that "ana" is something they can learn, like the South Beach Diet or something like that. Many of these young ladies have MySpace, LiveJournal, or Freewebs accounts with variations on the following items: "Ana Commandments," "Tips & Tricks," "Hiding it from Your Doctor" (not like they'd ever need the advice). The bizarre and strangely hilarious thing is that all of these sites have exactly the exact same content, down to the same pictures. To really give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are a few a sample posts from the Google Group "pro-ana" (yeah, it actually exists).

I need any help anyone can suggest. I'm 5'6" 140 pounds and can't do the vomiting thing (God knows I've tried!). At my best I was about 90 pounds. Regulating my eating is really difficult as my husband and mother both watch me like hawks and make all my meals for me. What can I do?????

{editorial comment: if you were able to get down to 90 lbs at 5'6'', then you sure as hell don't need tips from strangers. In other words, highly unlikely that she was actually at 90 lbs.}

hey im new to this group but its looking promising. the thing that puts me off most about losing weight is that when i start to, ppl start telling me that i dont need to and that im fine and healthy as i am, and even though i know thats total crap beacause im 18 and 5'9" and 154pounds, i start to believe them and give up, and thats not ok. i need to be harder on myself but i dont know how to. im seriously considering fasting but would like a buddy for support. also, does anyone know of any good diet pills or appetite suppresants? any advice would be really appreciated, thanks

{editorial comment: LOL}

Hi i'm new to pro ana! I would like to meet new people who share my new philosophy. so we can encourage , support and share thinspriational ideas. Really look forward to hearing from you luv & peace Karen

{editorial comment: groan}

My name is **** and I am 33 years old. A year and a half ago i was at 150 pounds and I am 5 feet 9. Now I am at 285 after losing 6 pounds. I have MS and fighting depression and the MS has made it hard to work out. I need help here. There is more of my history at {editorial comment: I deleted the link} I was wondering if anyone needs a buddy and if anyone can reccomend how to fight the hunger and how to control it when garbage is around you all the time. My hubby eats crap 24/7 and never puts on a pound. I need to get this weight back off! ESP by summer. All my cute clothes are summer stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

{still more editorial comment: this one is so sad, and pretty damn scary, too}

Ok, I think that's enough skewering of "pro-anas" for today. The bottom line is that I think it's so pathetic, and I'm worried that there are some young girls out there that are prone to EDs, whether due to genetic or environmental factors, that may try it on as an "identity" and may never be able to get rid of it.

No comments: